With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- gold Women's Pointed High Heel Sand Drag Fish Mouth Open Toe Non-Slip High Heel Beach Flip Flop Summer Sandals (Heel Height 12 cm)
- JaHGDU Fashion Women Low Knot Trimming Round Toe Knock Leather Boots Casual Martin shoes Sneakers Ladies Summer Autumn Spring shoes Fashion Girl Belts
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Wedge High Heel Pumps Sequin Glitter Heeled Dress Slip on Court shoes
- Aslipper Womens and Mens Summer Outdoor Water shoes Aqua Socks for Beach Swim Surf Yoga Exercise (S(W 5.5-6.5,M 5-5.5), Black2)
- AN Womens Wedges Wave Soles Imitated Suede Boots DKU02126
- Himalaya Nautical shoes M-2530 Brown - Brown, 40
- Rockport Men's Symon Oxford shoes
- Propet Men's Seeley Construction Boot, Dark Grey Black, 15 E US
- Black Black Asics Tiger - Mens Gel-Lique Sneakers
- IANXI Home Summer Thin Half-Pack with Maternal Slippers Indoor Spring and Autumn Breathable Non-Slip Cotton Slippers (color Grey, Size 3)
- Owaheson Platform Lace up Sneaker Casual Chunky Walking shoes Low Top Women Finland Flag National Emblem
- TARSHIN Single shoes Spring and Summer Black Thick with Shallow Mouth Professional Work Small Leather shoes
- MEIZOKEN Women's Closed Pointed Toe Wedges Sandals Ankle Strap High Heel Summer Comfortable Slip on Office shoes
- Restricted Womens Lucille Oxfords Flats shoes
- Mageleo Luxury Dinner Party Holding Evening Embroidery Bag
- Andy Pansy Wedge Mother's shoes Leather Anti-Slip Soft Soles for Women in The Middle of The top Layer of Cowhide Round Buttons
- Skechers Mens Cankton Industrial shoes
- Unstitched Utilites Men's Fast Lane,
- Steve Madden Women's Emilina 420
- Nine West Womens Tyler Leather Pump
- Marc Defang New York Women's Handmade 6 2-5mm Mixed Crystal Platform High Heels
- Latika Infradito men 06632 yellow Fango
- Stacy Adams Mens Garibaldi Garibaldi
- Hiking Boots Ultralight Running Shock Absorption Waterproof Breathable Outdoor Boots Men's Commando Desert Tactical shoes
- Red Night Mystery Ruby Easy Coral Adidas Performance Women's Pureboost X
- JaHGDU Women's Round Toe shoes Flat Booties Buckle Quality Suede Solid color Martin Boots Elegant Cosy Wild Tight Super Casual for Womens
- KemeKiss Women Block Heel Knee Boots Autumn Winter
- Square Bowknot Increased within Flat Thin shoes grey 40
- Igi&Co 3105611 shoes with Laces Man
- Rocky Men's Grizzly Waterproof Outdoor Boot Round Toe
- Romika Women's Romilastic 306 Slippers, 37 EU
- Owaheson Classic Canvas Slip-On Lightweight Driving shoes Soft Penny Loafers Men Women Romania Flag
- AllhqFashion Women's Zipper Soft Material High-Heels Round Closed Toe Boots with Crystals
- GenePeg Womens High Heels Ankle-Wrap shoes Gladiator Lace-Up Open Toe Sandal
- T-JULY Women shoes Flat shoes Spring Autumn Flats Ladies Slip on shoes for Women Loafers Sapatos
- Women's Sandals - Sexy Leopard Horse Hair Thick with high Heel Word with Women's shoes
- Drew shoes Womens London Leather Round Toe Wedge Pumps, Brown Stretch, Size 6.5
- FSJ Women Pointed Toe Thin High Heels Sock Boots Mid Calf Party Prom Velvet Dress Booties Size 4-15 US
- Ellie shoes Women's 414-Patty Slide Pump
- PUMA Mens Mantra Lightweight Cushioned Training shoes
- Kiara shoes Sexy Black Clogs with Strass and Metal Heel - G1516 black
- Terra Mens Harrier Composite Toe Waterproof Puncture Resistant Industrial Boot
- Fly London Sandals P500848003 ELFE848FLY
- Adidas Men's Tubular Invader Basketball shoes
- Converse Chuck Taylor Deck Star 67 Slip-On
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.