With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- gold Women's Pointed High Heel Sand Drag Fish Mouth Open Toe Non-Slip High Heel Beach Flip Flop Summer Sandals (Heel Height 12 cm)
- JaHGDU Fashion Women Low Knot Trimming Round Toe Knock Leather Boots Casual Martin shoes Sneakers Ladies Summer Autumn Spring shoes Fashion Girl Belts
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Wedge High Heel Pumps Sequin Glitter Heeled Dress Slip on Court shoes
- Aslipper Womens and Mens Summer Outdoor Water shoes Aqua Socks for Beach Swim Surf Yoga Exercise (S(W 5.5-6.5,M 5-5.5), Black2)
- AN Womens Wedges Wave Soles Imitated Suede Boots DKU02126
- Himalaya Nautical shoes M-2530 Brown - Brown, 40
- Rockport Men's Symon Oxford shoes
- Propet Men's Seeley Construction Boot, Dark Grey Black, 15 E US
- Black Black Asics Tiger - Mens Gel-Lique Sneakers
- T-JULY Classic Zapatillas Women Casual Loafers Summer Breathable Mesh Swing Wedges shoes Woman Sneakers Slip on Casual shoes
- Woman's Wedges Platform Rome Style Square Chunky High Heel Hollowing Cross Hook&Loop Casual Summer shoes
- Dear Time Women Casual Elastic Side Panel Chealsea Rain Boots
- Vallegreen 32351 Sandal Wedge shoes Woman White Leather Made in
- WeenFashion Open-Toe Pull-On Blend Materials Solid Kitten-Heels Slippers, AMGLW007850
- CITYCLASSIFIED Carlo-s Women's Classic Comfort Round Toe Low Heel Pump Office shoes (5.5 B(M) US, Silver)
- Kappa Unisex Adults' Talent Trainers
- FINDYOU Patent Leather Women Pumps Spring shoes T-Strap Pointed Wedding Pumps Sexy Cut Outs Thick Heel Dress Party shoes
- PUMA Men's XT S Athletic Running Gym Sneaker shoes (7, White)
- Brinley Co Womens Rheya Faux Leather Faux Suede Ankle Wrap Platform Heels
- Ladies Long Boots, Thick Heel Zipper Slim Plus Velvet High Boots Women's Thigh High Over The Knee Leather Knight Boots (color Black, Size 36)
- Danner Womens Explorer 650 6 Full Grain Hiking Boot
- Vans Unisex U ERA (TRI-Tone)
- Insun Men's Casual Faux Leather Loafers Dress shoes
- Dr. Comfort Men's Collin Flip-Flop
- Black Peep Toe High Heels Slingback Mixed colors Summer shoes Lady Concise Party Elegant Sandals
- Flip-Flops Flip-Flops, Wedges Leather Flip-Flops Flat shoes Women's Sandals (color Black, Size 5.5 US)
- Get-in Women's Sandals Bohemia Zipper Summer Ladies Beach shoes Party Low Heel Mix color Sandal Platform
- Crocs Womens Sanrah Metalblock Strap Wedge Wedge Sandal
- Goodyear Workwear GYSHU3054 Mens Lightweight Work Safety Sporty Athletic Trainer Non Metallic Composite Toe Cap & Midsole S3P SRC HRO, Black, 6 UK (40 EU)
- Adidas Harden B E shoes - Men's Basketball
- Bella Vita Womens Scarlett Pump
- MET RXL Lady,Summer,Casual Sandals Wedges,Buckle Sandals
- AnnaKastle Womens Raw Edge Bow Straps Kitten Heel Mule Sandals
- Elong Unisex FILP Flop Slippers for Women in Black White Red
- AIWEIYi Womens shoes Buckles Chunky Heel Knee High Boots Thigh High Boots Black
- ShoBeautiful Women's Thigh High Boots Stretchy Over The Knee Chunky Block Heel Boots
- Indigo Rd. Womens Bellie Peep Toe Casual Espadrille Sandals, Black, Size 7.5
- T-JULY Women's Winter shoes Knee High Boots Plus Size Quality Genuine Leather Brand Heels Snow Boots
- Florsheim Men's Casey Plain Toe Chukka Boot
- Adidas Performance Men's X 17.3 FG
- I'm good at you Autumn New Casual Men's Loafers Men Genuine Leather shoes Fashion Men's Business shoes,A832155980Brown,6.5
- Nike Womens Rift Wrap Lifestyle Breathable Fashion Sneakers
- Castaner Women's 21119200WHITE White Fabric Espadrilles
- Easy Go Shopping Brogue Fashion Casual Board shoes for Men PU Leather Comfortable Breathable Outdoor Sneakers Low Top Anti-Slip Flat Lace Up Round Toe Fashion Sneaker Cricket shoes
- Willsego Summer Men's Sandal Breathable Men's shoes Leather New Hollow shoes Men's Hole shoes Men's shoes (color Grey, Size -)
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.