With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- gold Women's Pointed High Heel Sand Drag Fish Mouth Open Toe Non-Slip High Heel Beach Flip Flop Summer Sandals (Heel Height 12 cm)
- JaHGDU Fashion Women Low Knot Trimming Round Toe Knock Leather Boots Casual Martin shoes Sneakers Ladies Summer Autumn Spring shoes Fashion Girl Belts
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Wedge High Heel Pumps Sequin Glitter Heeled Dress Slip on Court shoes
- Aslipper Womens and Mens Summer Outdoor Water shoes Aqua Socks for Beach Swim Surf Yoga Exercise (S(W 5.5-6.5,M 5-5.5), Black2)
- AN Womens Wedges Wave Soles Imitated Suede Boots DKU02126
- Himalaya Nautical shoes M-2530 Brown - Brown, 40
- Rockport Men's Symon Oxford shoes
- Propet Men's Seeley Construction Boot, Dark Grey Black, 15 E US
- Black Black Asics Tiger - Mens Gel-Lique Sneakers
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Bright colors Boho Stripes Ethnic and Tribal Pattern Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- AN Womens Assorted colors Spikes Stilettos Urethane Boots DKU02543
- FSJ Multicolor Print Pumps Pointy Toe High Heels Stilettos Dress shoes Size 4-15
- GIY Women's Sparkle Metallic Dress Ankle Boots Round Toe Chunky High Heel Zipper Winter Wedding Short Boot
- PUMA Womens Flare 2 WN's Cross-Trainer shoes
- AmoonyFashion Women's Kitten-Heels Solid Closed-Toe Frosted Pull-On Boots, BUSXT114121
- Andy Pansy Handmade shoes Leather shoes for The Elderly Soft Sole Single shoes Soft top Women's shoes Flat Anti-Skid Casual shoes
- Rockport Women's Total Motion Kapurple
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's Double Marlin Sailboat Thong
- Earth Origins London Women's Slip On 6 C D US Dark Red
- Nine Seven Women's Genuine Leather Round Toe Low Heel Handmade Casual Full Side Zipper Wide Calf Walking Dress Knee High Boots
- Windsor Smith Woman's Pacome Black Leather Ankle Boots
- T & S SAFETY SHOE, METAL FREE, SIZE 12 90867
- Amblers Safety FS169 Work Boots
- Men'S Sneakers shoes Spring Casual shoes Outdoor shoes Comfortable Flat shoes Ankle Boots Unisex
- Brown Zarbrina Womens Fur Lined Flat Platform Ankle Boots Winter Short Plush Flock Slip On Round Toe Keep Warm Snow shoes
- Soulength Ladies Leopard High Heels Pointed Rhinestone Belt Buckle Shallow Pumps Fashion Sexy shoes
- Qupid Lucite 32A Women's Caged Strappy Block Heel Sandal.
- SUNNY Store Women's Pattern Print Solid color Waterproof Welly PVC Rain Boots
- Clarks Originals Desert Boot Men’s Boots
- Black VGEBY1 Bike shoes, MTB Cycling shoes Lock Pedal Bike Sneakers Bicycle Equipment
- Big Size Women Pumps Black Wedge high Heels peep Toe Single shoes Female Party Dress shoes Sandals
- Erec bomb Handbag Diamond Lattice Ladies Hand Bags Dai Fei Hand Bag Ribbons Silk Women Handbags Leather Bags Women Bolso women Sac a Main
- AmoonyFashion Women's Blend Materials High-Heels Round Closed Toe Solid Boots
- Clarks Women's Lillia Lola Low-Top Sneakers
- Konhill Women's Breathable Sneakers Casual Knit Tennis Athletic Walking shoes, Red,37
- T-JULY Women Trainers Mesh White Platform Sneakers Ladies Casual Wedges shoes
- FidgetFidget Women Pointed ToCarved LacUp Oxford shoes Casual LacUp Wingtips shoes Black US6=UK4=AU5=EUR 37
- Ailj Snow Boots, Ladies Outdoor Leather Warm Boots Thick Velvet Short Boots Non-Slip Flat Cotton Boots (2 colors) (color Black, Size 37 EU 5 US 4 UK 23.5cm JP)
- Vince Camuto Womens Kanara Dress Sandal
- WLJSLLZYQ Summer Mens shoes Breathable Cloth shoes Mens Sports and Leisure shoes
- Hush Puppies Men's Picton Spy Slip-On Loafer
- Adidas Speedex 16.1 Boost Boxing shoes
- Janet&Janet 7601 Women's Italian Dressy Casual Mid Heel Sandals
- ZHRUI Mens Casual shoes Lace-Up Men Loafers Moccasins Slip On shoes Boat Flats shoes Oxford Sneaker Male (color 604khaki, Size 11=45 UK)
- GLSHI Men's shoes Leather Summer Light Soles Comfort Sandals Walking shoes Buckle for Casual Office & Outdoor Brown, Black Large Size
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.