With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- gold Women's Pointed High Heel Sand Drag Fish Mouth Open Toe Non-Slip High Heel Beach Flip Flop Summer Sandals (Heel Height 12 cm)
- JaHGDU Fashion Women Low Knot Trimming Round Toe Knock Leather Boots Casual Martin shoes Sneakers Ladies Summer Autumn Spring shoes Fashion Girl Belts
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Wedge High Heel Pumps Sequin Glitter Heeled Dress Slip on Court shoes
- Aslipper Womens and Mens Summer Outdoor Water shoes Aqua Socks for Beach Swim Surf Yoga Exercise (S(W 5.5-6.5,M 5-5.5), Black2)
- AN Womens Wedges Wave Soles Imitated Suede Boots DKU02126
- Himalaya Nautical shoes M-2530 Brown - Brown, 40
- Rockport Men's Symon Oxford shoes
- Propet Men's Seeley Construction Boot, Dark Grey Black, 15 E US
- Black Black Asics Tiger - Mens Gel-Lique Sneakers
- Phil Betty Women Flats shoes Square Toe Casual Flats Ballet shoes
- WENNEW Internal Style Sandals Flat shoes Rhinestone Vacuous shoes
- PRETTYHOMEL Women's Round Closed Toe Low Top Low-Heels Solid Imitated Suede Boots
- Pelle Moda Women's Harah Flat Sandal
- T-JULY Women Spring Casual Wedge Platform Sneakers Ladies Hook Loop Loafers shoes
- Hoxekle Woman Over The Knee High Boots Buckle Zipper High Heel Round Toe Winter Warm Ladies Sexy Party Long Boots
- Petkanvas Faux Fur Boots-Border Collie Print Faux Fur Boots for Women Black
- NLeahershoe Lace-up Dancing Oxford Latin shoes Chunky shoes for Men Latin Professionals,Quickstep,Waltz Black
- Men’s shoes Spring Fall Outdoor Casual shoes Lazy Loafers Leather Men shoes Shockproof Durable Flat shoes (color A, Size 41)
- Aerin Womens Al0177 Sandals - Shell Charm Thong 9 Med
- Nine Seven Women's Genuine Leather Round Toe Low Chunky Heel Handmade Front Zip Comfortable Over The Knee Boots
- Women's Round Head High Heel Boots Fashion Leather Knee Boots Platform Knight Boots
- Adidas Men’s Stan Smith Low Rise Hiking shoes
- Shukun Men's boots Autumn Men'S shoes High Boots Men'S Leather Boots Breathable High-Top shoes Snow Martin Boots
- Clarks Fulham Limit, Men’s Lace-Up
- Black High Heels Boots Knee High shoes for Women Thin High Heels Platform Spring Winter Thigh High Boots
- CHENSIR9 Leather Ballet Flats Women Flat shoes Ladies Girls Ballerina Female Heel Slip On Office shoes
- KingRover Women's Classic Comfort Penny Loafers Slip-on Low Heels Suede Flat shoes
- Skechers Womens Upgrades Be-Jeweled Flip Flop
- Nike Men's Air Precision Ii Basketball shoes
- bluee YAJIE-Boots, Men's Fashionable Snow Boots, Casual Simple Lace-up Winter Faux Fleece Inside Home shoes (color Brown, Size 8.5 UK)
- Clarks Women's Ashland Effie Slip-On
- Corgi with Sushi Womens Lace Up Loafers shoes Casual
- WeenFashion Women's Buckle Open Toe High Heels Cow Leather Sandals
- coloriffics Women's Kacey Platform Pump
- LifeStride Womens Brooke Flat Sandal
- ASICS Gel Lyte Runner Womens Running Sneakers shoes
- Blondo Womens Selma Flat Sandal
- Nine Seven Guede Leather Women's Pointed Toe Mid Chunky Heel Cute Handmade Concise Fashion Strap Women Dress Pumps
- Ferro Manuel MFA19393LE Navy bluee orange
- Men's Leather shoes formalized Pointed shoes Men's lace-up Casual Men shoes
- English Laundry Mens Samuel Loafer
- Nine West Women's Cerys Pumps
- Ecco Footwear Womens Jab Toggle Dress Sandal
- Dundun-bootstore 2018 Mens Boots, Men's Ankle Boots, Soft Pig Skin Leather Fashi
- Novesta Sneaker Men Star Master color Sole Sneakers
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.