With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- gold Women's Pointed High Heel Sand Drag Fish Mouth Open Toe Non-Slip High Heel Beach Flip Flop Summer Sandals (Heel Height 12 cm)
- JaHGDU Fashion Women Low Knot Trimming Round Toe Knock Leather Boots Casual Martin shoes Sneakers Ladies Summer Autumn Spring shoes Fashion Girl Belts
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Wedge High Heel Pumps Sequin Glitter Heeled Dress Slip on Court shoes
- Aslipper Womens and Mens Summer Outdoor Water shoes Aqua Socks for Beach Swim Surf Yoga Exercise (S(W 5.5-6.5,M 5-5.5), Black2)
- AN Womens Wedges Wave Soles Imitated Suede Boots DKU02126
- Himalaya Nautical shoes M-2530 Brown - Brown, 40
- Rockport Men's Symon Oxford shoes
- Propet Men's Seeley Construction Boot, Dark Grey Black, 15 E US
- Black Black Asics Tiger - Mens Gel-Lique Sneakers
- GanQuan2018 Women Kitten-Heels Pumps,Slip on Pointed Thin High Heels Bridal Sexy Dress shoes
- AN Womens Chunky Heels Pointed-Toe Cow Leather Pumps shoes DGU00868
- S-2603 Women's Slides Sandals Triple Adjustable Straps Buckle Comfort Slip On Wedge Flip Flops Casual shoes Black, White
- shoes Woman 2019 Autumn Cow Muscle Slip On Loafers Solid Genuine Leather Female Casual shoes Ballet Flats
- Amblers Walford Ladies Leather Court Womens shoes Court Ladies shoes (4.5 US) (Navy)
- AmoonyFashion Women's Round-Toe Kitten-Heels Frosted Low-Top Solid Boots, BUSXT114532
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Pointed Toe Stiletto Heel Business Handmade Classy Pump shoes
- Cole Haan Men's Williams Welt II Chukka Boot
- Z.L.F shoes Men's Low Top shoes Matte Breathable Hollow Carving PU Leather Slip-on Lined Oxfords Leather shoes
- Giani Bernini Womens Catrinaa Leather Round Toe Knee High, Black, Size 8.0
- Superga Unisex Adults' 2790 Netw Platform Sneakers
- Steve Madden Women’s Wedgie Sneaker Hi-Top Trainers
- Dkode Men's Metro Chelsea Boots
- Dexter Accessories - Womens - Unisex shoes Cover - X-Small
- Converse All Star Hi Men's shoes Red m9621 (8 M US)
- Black Spring Step Womens Elwanda Ballet Flat
- JQfashion Sexy Elastic Buckle for Women's high-Heeled Slim-Heeled Roman Sandals
- Winter Cute Slippers Women Home Sewing Flock Animal Style Female Indoors Flats Warm shoes for Girl
- ABBY Products Abby 7111 Womens Salsa Dance shoes Latin Tango Cha-Cha Ballroom Party Wedding Sudue Sole Kitten Heel Peep Toe Satin Ankle Strap
- Adidas Continental 80 Fitness shoes
- Danner Men's East Ridge 8-Inch BR 400G Hiking Boot
- Poree's Embroidery Alpha Kappa Alpha Cozy Slippers Pink and Green
- Owaheson Classic Canvas Slip-On Lightweight Driving shoes Soft Penny Loafers Men Women colorful Butterflies
- Fay Waters Vintage Lace Up Oxfords for Women Round Toe Low Heel Lolita Student Uniform Dress shoes
- MEIZOKEN Womens Bohemian Flats Slippers Fashion Peep Toe Leather shoes Thong Beach Flip Flop Sandals
- T-JULY Clear Crystal Heeled Sandals for Women Open Toe Ankle Buckle Party Dress Pumps shoes Stylish Elegant Slides
- ROF Women's Studded Quilted Leatherette Buckle Round Toe Motorcycle Boots
- Sandals,Sexy High Heels Lace Buckle Court shoes Party Wedding Office Ladies Princess Queen Pumps Stiletto Heel,EU34-40,Black,EU40
- Pleaser Womens ado1008sq pp ppch Ankle Bootie
- Quiksilver Mens Shorebreak Deluxe Sneaker
- Cambridge Select Women's Back Corset Lace Strappy Buckle Riding Knee-High Boot
- Camper Chassis, shoes for Men
- Born Marit Women's Slip On
- RODO Ladies Sandal S7600 450 099
- ZHRUI Men Flat shoes Fashion Male Summer Footwear Comfortable Casual shoes (color Yellow, Size 7=41 EU)
- ZIXUAP Mens Leather Hiking shoes Lightweight Slip-Resistant Walking Sneakers for Outdoor Trail Trekking
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.