With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- White 100 pairs GZZ Disposable Slippers White Disposable Slippers Men's Slippers Women's Household Slippers Five-Star Hotel Hotel Sauna Room Club Beauty Unisex Slippers 28.5 10.6cm
- HuangKang Classics for Women Flock Wedges Buckle Strap Wedges High Heel Gladiator Casual Ladies Sandals
- Mountain Warehouse Constellation Womens Boots -Waterproof Ladies shoes
- KSC Womens Strappy Buckle Western Stacked High Heel Ankle Boots
- Tahari Womens Ta-Elton Ankle Bootie
- Geox Women's Annytah A Suede Ballerina shoes
- Panama Jack Men's Panama 03 Wool Classic Boots
- FHCGMX New Winter Warm Casual Boots Solid For Men Adult Genuine Leather Work Male Sneakers Footwear Ankle Boots
- Red Brogue shoes for Men Wingtip Oxfords Lace up Genuine Leather Business Formal Dress shoes Cricket shoes
- Women Wedge Sandals Female Summer Denim Embroidery Waterproof Platform New Roman shoes
- ZHZNVX Women's PU Summer Sandals Chunky Heel Open Toe Buckle Beige Brown bluee color Block
- KUIBU Women Lightweight Sport Breathable Slip-On Platform Toning shoes Suede High Heel Sneaker Athletic
- T-JULY Women Summer Vulcanize Casual Flats Mesh Breathable Platform Wedge Heels Sneakers
- KEEN Women's Newport H2 Sandals
- T-JULY Women Slippers Slides Genuine Leather Flower Platform Wedges Clog Flip Flops Summer shoes with Med Heels
- Yellow Box Womens Janalee Wedge Sandal
- DATAIYANG Vintage Mens shoes Casual Footwear Lace Up Luxury shoes Men British Men's shoes Fashion 2019 Zapatillas Hombre
- GD Fashion Series Skin Barefoot Stylish shoes for Sports Water Beach Yoga Fitness Running Biking Hiking Surfing Diving Swim Boat Snokeling Indoor Outdoor (7.58.5 (M) US, Prime Red)
- Adidas Galaxy 4 shoes Men's Running
- Harley-Davidson Womens Liam Ankle Bootie
- Casual shoes Fashion Personality Peas shoes Spring and Summer Camouflage A Pedal Male shoes
- WQING Men's Outdoor Hiking shoes Waterproof Low Rise Comfortable Lightweight Anti-Slip Walking shoes
- Mizuno Men's Wave Prodigy 2 Running shoes
- Grunland SC4520 RANG Scarpa men Pelle
- Black Women's Ladies Pumps Heeled Slingback Sandals Mary Jane shoes Block Heels Closed Pointed Toe Ankle Buckle Court shoes Dress Party Black Yellow
- WHW Women's Summer Fall Fabric Outdoor Dress Casual Flat Heel Flower Sandals,Black,43
- FANIMILA Women Fashion Hidden Heel Boots Pull On
- Fashion shoesbox Women Fashion Laces Low Top Slip On Wedge Sneakers Platform Increased Height Casual Sports shoes
- AdeeSu Womens Chunky Heels Buckle Pointed-Toe Suede Pumps shoes
- New Balance Men's 990v5 Sneaker
- Drew Toby Women Pumps Transparent Crystal Heel Fashion Wedding Party Office High Heels
- AllhqFashion Women's Lace-Up Kitten-Heels Imitated Suede Solid High-Top Boots
- Party Party SERA7012 Comfort Evening Dress Pump, Wedding shoes Women Ballroom Dance shoes High-Medium Heel, Salsa, Tango, Latin, Swing Salsa Tango Swing Latin
- Pleaser Womens ADORE-708UVP C CDGRN Sandal Clear Green
- AmoonyFashion Women's Open-Toe Buckle Pu Solid Kitten-Heels Sandals, BUTLT008054
- Women Over The Knee Boots Platform High Thin Heel Slip On Round Toe Female Winter Sexy Fashion Zipper Long Boots
- Slip-ON Brown COMP Toe WP EH - Footwear Women's Footwear Women's Work Boots
- Chung -Shi Dux Ortho Clog, Ultra-Light Toxin-Free w Insoles
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Mens Drue Boot Combat Boot
- Steve Madden Womens Prisila Espadrille Flat
- Camper Womens Misia Lucy orange Strappy Suede Wedge Heel Sandals Size
- DI LUNA Women's 1348ASILVER Silver Leather Pumps
- XIANGBAO-Personality Drive Loafer for Men Boat Moccasins Slip On Style OX Leather Metal Ring Individuality Lame Toe
- Dr. Scholl's shoes Men's Loyal Sneaker
- Central Safety Sandals S1p SRC Grey
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.